Your personal data – what is it?
Ideas for Ears wants to protect any personal information that you give to us. This Policy explains when and why we collect personal information. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”).
Who are we?
We are Ideas for Ears, a not-for-profit social enterprise run by people with hearing loss. We provide opportunities for people with hearing loss to express their needs and wishes for products, services and facilities with regards to their effectiveness, accessibility and desirability. We use this insight and information to support businesses and organisations to better meet the needs of people with hearing loss. We are based in Scotland but work on projects across the UK.
Ideas for Ears Ltd is registered in Scotland as a company limited by guarantee with Company Number 516105.
How do we process your personal data?
Ideas for Ears complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date;
- by storing and destroying it securely
- by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data;
- by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use your personal data for the following purposes: –
- To operate the Ideas for Ears web site
- To deliver services that individuals have requested
- To deliver projects that individuals have requested to participate with
- To provide email updates of our work and activities
- To verify research activity, including surveys, that are undertaken to gather opinion on topics and subjects that relate to hearing and deafness
When do we collect your personal data?
We will collect your personal data in a number of ways including, but not limited to:
- When you sign up for our email updates or newsletters
- When you attend events organised or hosted by Ideas for Ears
- When you engage with us on social media
- When you visit our website
- When you contact us with questions, information requests etc
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you
Collecting data on our websites
Ideas for Ears hosts content on one website:
When you visit our website, we use a third-party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out information, such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site.
This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website.
We cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other sites even if you access them using links from our website. In addition, if you linked to our website from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site.
If you have signed up to receive email updates from us, we use a third-party email marketing service called Mailchimp. This service logs which emails you open, which links you click and other information sent by your email client. We use this information in aggregate to improve the way we work.
Under 16-year olds
If you are 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian’s permission before you give us any personal information about yourself.
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
Processing is only carried out for one or more of the following reasons:
- You have given your consent;
- It is necessary for entering into or performing a contract with the individual;
- It is necessary to protect the interest of the individual;
- It is necessary to comply with the organisation’s legal obligations;
- Processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests pursued by the organisation or a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the rights and freedoms of the individual.
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential. We will only share your data with third parties outside of the organisation with your consent.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep your personal data for no longer than reasonably necessary. We retain your data for the following purposes:
- For the verification of survey research. Many of our research activities permit respondents to participate anonymously without providing any personal data. Where personal data is required or requested, it will be held securely for a period of five years before being destroyed.
- To share information updates. We retain your data to allow us to remain I touch with you to provide you with information about our activities. We retain this data until you notify us that you no longer wish to receive updates, or until such time we are notified of death.
- For the purposes of deliver services in accordance with your wishes. We will retain your data for the duration of the project or the period of service delivery.
Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: –
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which Ideas for Ears holds about you;
- The right to request that Ideas for Ears corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Ideas for Ears to retain such data;
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office. https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance, contact us at:
Ideas for Ears Ltd
57-59 High Street